Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Mobi2weet

Last year, when I got active on twitter, I was looking for an sms service that would help me update twitter. The official twitter service costs 6 rupees per update or in other words, as much as an sms to UK.
Why didn't I use gprs? After losing 3 cell phones on the streets of Karachi, I know better than to carry an expensive one here.
And then, I discovered mobi2weet. I registered my number and it was so great to know that the charges were of a local sms. I told my friend Sundus (@dunuss) about it and we used (or abused =P) it day and night to update our status. Got updates from people as well on the phone.
It was somewhere in Ramadan last year. There was a family plan for an iftar outing at KFC. It had rained so bad that the KFC branch near our home was closed. The workers hadn't shown up! So we tried going to another branch. And in the middle of all this, when water was seeping in from the car door, I got a notification that @mobi2weet just announced their first brand ambassador. Winner of the ipod shuffle. And for some reason, my twitter name was there. Got an sms from Sundus immediately, " Sheza did you just win?" And then it dawned upon me slowly.
The branch of KFC we went to wasn't very clean and we got food so late. But I was SO happy!
Then I mentioned to mobi2weet that my birthday is coming up and I'd like a pink ipod. (which was kind of not right to say)
But they were so kind, they sent me a pink one! And they tried to sync the ipod with my birthday.
The service has expanded and improved since I first started using it.
My twitter name is still on their website www.mobi2weet.com

6 comments:

  1. OMG....wow shez...ths ws greatt...touched my heart...=P!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww congrats :)

    That said, I'm surprised to see that getting your cellphone snatched is so common in Karachi.

    had to detox myself from social networking on my last visit to KHI, but thanks for letting me know about mobi2tweet. Well definitely use that (with a cheap cellphone) next time im in town :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an adventurous day that was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sara it wasn't supposed to touch your heart :P but I'm glad it did :P

    @NidaIM thanks! yes Joanna used mobi2weet as well when she was here

    @Nida it sure was :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe yeah sheza is teh one who told me about twitter and then face book.. love u buddy and ur blog.. people sheza is a wonderful blogger.. keep appreciating her and keep writing comments.. (i will give u ur payments every friday) lol

    ReplyDelete